I Began Running On Accident – Sarah Bourdon

Hello Family!

My name is Sarah Bourdon and I am a sophomore at Ohio State majoring in Computer Science Engineering. This will be my second year as a competitive runner and member of The Ohio State Running Club. I was born and raised in downtown Chicago and attended Lane Tech High School. During my sophomore year of high school, my father was diagnosed with cancer and I began working everyday after school. This is also the year that I started to run.

I began running on accident. My high school counselor forced me to attend our school’s jog-a-thon one year because I was short community service hours. It was early spring, about two weeks after my father underwent chemotherapy, when I found myself falling asleep on the train to school, dreading the idea of running in circles for an hour. I nonetheless arrived drearily to the football field, shivering in the cold March air. I sat down on a bench to change my shoes and stared longingly at the Starbucks sign across the street. I must have gazed too long because I soon noticed my gym teacher look pointedly at me and then at the track. I sluggishly rose and trudged over to the starting line. I began at a slow pace around the field. It wasn’t as bad as I thought. I felt happier and lighter

Jess and I (right)

Jess and I (right)

somehow. My mind was clear and I felt less strained. It was all too soon when I was called off the field and told to go to my fourth period class, which was lunch (I giddily raced to Starbucks). I decided that evening to make running a habit. Because I worked after school until late at night, I wasn’t able to join a cross country or track team. I decided to start running in the morning. It became routine to wake up at 4:30 am to run. If I didn’t, I was grumpy all day. When it was time to go to college, I knew I was ready to race competitively. That is when I decided to join the OSU run club. My first race was the 6K at regionals last year and I felt so happy and proud when I crossed the finish line. My family at school is Running Club and I know that I have made friends for life. Everyone is supportive and wants to see you succeed. I couldn’t imagine being on a better team!

Thank you for reading my story! I can’t wait to see you guys soon!