How Running Shaped Me – Rita Mayer

How Running Shaped Me – Rita Mayer

Hi guys!

My name is Rita Mayer and this will be third year as an Ohio State student and member of the Running Club. I’m majoring in Biology and would one day love to become a high school teacher. I’m originally from the greatest city in Northeast Ohio, Medina. It’s here that I first fell in love with running and where you can find some of my absolute favorite places to run.

My running career started on accident, at the end of 6th grade. Every year, our middle school holds a sort of “Olympic Games” which include a portion of track events. I missed the day when we got to volunteer for different events, and so I got stuck with the one no one else wanted to do—the 400 meter run. I was absolutely dreading it when the day 2014-07-25 13.54.54finally arrived. I’m still not sure how, but I managed to win the race that day. I remember thinking that I might not even be able to make it all the way around the track once, let alone before everyone else! Afterwards, the track and cross country coach came up to me and talked me right into joining the XC team that summer. From there, the rest is history.

It’s ironic that the 400m is what got me involved in running. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot, and will not, ever run such a short distance. As I got older, the distances I preferred to run got longer. I ran my first half marathon before the end of high school, and a few months later I ran my first full marathon. I have accomplished so much for myself through running, and it’s because I’ve been blessed with some of the best teammates and friends you could ask for. Running has taught me so much over the years, and I don’t think I’d be the person I am today without it. I hope to have a very long life filled with this sport, as it has brought me the most wonderful memories and the best people I’ve ever met.

I had the best high school running experience at Medina and for the past two years, I’ve had an even more incredible college journey. This upcoming year I’m looking forward to having another great time with the Running Club. I am excited to be the Women’s Captain and to have the opportunity to train for another cross country season and marathon this fall, as well as the Boston Marathon and an awesome track season in the spring with some of my great friends!