Definitely Something – Regan Roshetko

Definitely Something – Regan Roshetko

I am Regan, a junior at The Ohio State University, majoring in Bio-Medical Engineering. I am also a member of Ohio State’s Navy ROTC detachment and I plan on flying jets for the US Navy upon graduation. As the son of a military man I have lived all over the world, but I consider Washington my home. Running is my passion, ultimate frisbee is my sport.

My dream of playing right field for the Cleveland Indians had died by the time I turned 10. During my final season of baseball, I got on base once in a league where everyone had equal playing time. I was worse at all the other sports I tried- swimming, soccer, basketball, football, and even skateboarding. In fact, I was such a poor swimmer that my father still jokes about how my competition was out of the water and dry by the time I finished. The things I was always good at were capture-the-flag, man-hunt, zombies, and epidemic, all different formulations of an ancient past-time: tag. And as we all know, tag was a favorite game of Pheidippides, giving him the base-training to run from Marathon to Athens.

Enough about the Greeks. Not seeing the correlation between my tag skills and my potential cardio ability, I didn’t get serious about running until my junior year of high school. Over the summer of 2010 my family moved from Germany to Washington. I had aNIRCANATS Track bold strategy when it came to high school: I joined the Cheney Cross Country team as a junior. I like to think it paid off. Friendships were made quickly, the way runners do, but nothing could prepare me for the roller coaster ride that would be the next two years. I started at the bottom of JV, a care-free, no-pressure zone, by the end of that season I had moved to the highly coveted position of upper-JV aka “not completely slow”. My coach was like a second mother to the whole team and convinced me that I had the potential to ‘run fast’, roping me into our school’s winter-running program. The rest, like the Greeks, is ancient history. By the end of my final season in Washington I had accumulated four varsity letters in XC and Track, eight 2nd place ribbons, and had competed in the 2011 Washington State XC Championships. I loved being a Cheney Blackhawk, it was something I didn’t want to give up.

As graduation approached, I, like many other high school athletes, felt that competing on a team was something I’d leave behind. However, being the resourceful kid I was, I got on the old dial-up and Googled until I found The Club. I browsed the website and figured I’d look into it when I arrived on campus. At the involvement fair I can vividly remember

Jack Schlabig (left) and I at NIRCA Track & Field Nationals 2014

talking to Jenna Hoerstein about competing in the fall and spring. I went to the welcome week run, talked to Erica and Coco, and then raced Pat around the Shoe. I officially joined a few weeks later. Faster than Jack in the 100m, The Club became more than a group to run with, more than a club, more than a team. It became a family and an escape.

Since joining I have held the positions of freshman president, sophomore president, Grillmaster, and the official recruiter for the Pacific Northwest. The past two years I’ve competed at the NIRCA XC and Track Championships and countless other meets. Joining The Club was the best decision I’ve made in college, which isn’t saying much, but it’s definitely something. Shout-out to the Super Sophomores of yesteryear who are some of my closest friends, I wouldn’t trade you guys for anything. Long car rides bond us together, racing builds our character, semi-weekly trips to Tai’s Asian Bistro stave off hunger, and Gatorade keeps us hydrated. I love being a Buckeye, it’s something I’ll never have to give up.

Thanks for the memories, I can’t wait to make some more.

Regan Kelly Roshetko

“If you want to keep your friends, don’t use the award rifle.”