In the Club With My OSU Running Fam – Steven Facca

My name is Steven Facca (you can call me MotherFacca – you know you want to), and I’m a sophomore at Ohio State from Dallas, TX majoring in Marketing at the Fisher College of Business. I’m an avid pro track & field fan, fast-high-school-runner-turned-hobbyjogger, hip-hop fanatic (feel free to call me Waka Facca), Mexican food fiend, and a resident of The Land of Sky Blue Waters.

It would be the understatement of the year to say that my romance with running got off to a rocky start. I ran for my high school in Texas (Frisco Liberty High School) all four years in XC and track, posting personal records of 16:13 for XC 5K, 9:56 for the 3,200, and 4:33 for the 1,600. Competing in my first high school cross country meet looking like a mix between Michael CeraRunning Pic #1 and a hobbit, I posted a meager 5K time of 26 minutes and change. I was the laughingstock of the team and wondered why I even ran every single day. It was tough sledding adjusting to the life of a runner in the Texas heat and making friends on the team, who were embarrassed by me and made fun of my slowness.

My hard work eventually paid off though, and I was rewarded with a growth spurt the summer before my sophomore year. I kept working at getting faster every day, making friends with my teammates, and also rose to become team captain by my senior year. Injury unfortunately struck at the end of my senior cross country season, and a string of injuries has derailed my competitive running ever since.

After deciding to attend Ohio State, I had heard of NIRCA and OSU Running Club and eagerly came to the Welcome Week Run as a bright-eyed freshman. I greatly enjoyed the experience and began attending the runs every day. Running with my club in Ohio’s negative degree temperatures is on the opposite end of the spectrum from running iRunning Pic #2n triple digit heat with my Texas squad, but I assure you it is just as enjoyable. Meeting so many people with the same enthusiasm and passion as me in Running Club has made my transition to Ohio State as an out-of-state student so much easier.

Most of my best friends at Ohio State are in Running Club, and the fact that I have not been able to compete at the level I did in high school has not diminished my enjoyment at all. Running Club accepts you for who you are, fast or slow, serious or casual. That’s the beauty of it. Going to Running Club and seeing so many friends is the highlight of my day at OSU. I came to Ohio with no family. There’s no question I have one now.