Putting My Last Name to Good Use – Kirsten Fast

Hey Guys!

My name’s Kirsten Fast, and I’m a second year here at Ohio State majoring in Chemistry and Public Health and I’m on the pre-dental track. I was born and raised on the mean streets of PG County, Maryland, which is located right outside of DC. I love rap music and I’m obsessed with Phineas and Ferb….and puzzles…and chemistry….especially puzzles about chemistry (I actually finished a 1000-piece periodic table puzzle this summer). This is my first year that I have been a member of the running club, and it’s the best decision I’ve made since I’ve been here.

I started playing volleyball back in 4th grade. I was lucky enough that my middle school had a

IMG_0061team, so I got to sharpen up my skills during those three years to prepare me for high school. I never realized how much I could become obsessed with a sport, but I put so much time into volleyball it literally became my life. And I loved it. All the hard work paid off, because by my senior year I was captain, I was named best setter in the county, and my team made it to states. I considered playing in college, but knew I could not put in the amount of time it would require, especially since I had such a rigorous academic track planned out.

When I got to Ohio State, I thought I could jump right into volleyball and begin playing like I used to. This, however, was not the case. Club volleyball required a large time commitment and was a lot more competitive than I had expected (plus all of the girls were much taller than me), intramural volleyball was completely recreational, and courts were set up at the RPAC for open gym but people hardly played, so there was really nothing that I could find in between these extremes. It was really hard for me to go from always being able to participate in something I love and was so passionate about, to hardly ever being able to find a group to play with. I still wanted to keep in shape though, so I began running regularly.

I knew it was something I was decent at, but I never thought it would be something I would love so much. I remember watching people run track and cross country in high school, and thinking about how awful that must be. This summer, I came across a half-marathon training plan that I had pinned awhile back (I love Pinterest). For some reason, I suddenly became extremely motivated. I immediately started planning long runs for myself, looking for half-marathons to register for, and figuring out ways to stick with it while I was away at school. I remembered that there was a running club, so I looked it up online just to see what it was about. I knew I wasn’t fast, but it said that all levels were welcome, and it also mentioned how everyone could compete if they want to. I’m an extremely competitive person, so this definitely grabbed my attention.

10698432_869265679751307_8836844697897822273_nAfter joining and running my first two races, I can honestly say this is my favorite thing that I am involved with here at OSU. I have met so many great people, had so much fun, and found my passion. My knee is injured right now, but I’m hoping to get back out there really soon and run in regionals and nationals. My goal is to one day improve my times, but at this point I’m just thankful to even have the honor of racing with you guys. I mean, you guys are so fast, it’s incredible! You all are the ones who keep me striving to do better and to push myself everyday. I love you guys and I’m so grateful to be a part of this amazing family!