My Running Story (so far) – Morgan Crouse

Hi Running Club!

My name is Morgan and I am your Service/Philanthropy Executive Officer! You may otherwise know me as the girl who loves Beyoncé, Bob Evans, and who lives in the giant house. I am a senior, graduating in May with a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences. I hope to go to nursing school next year, but in all reality I could be doing anything, anywhere! That story could have many endings, but here is my running story (so far):

My running jourPicture 056ney started at the end of 6th grade when all of my classmates started to pick what sport they would join the following school year. When it came down to it – running seemed like the only option for me considering I already knew I was not coordinated from my early soccer years. I will never forget my first two mile race, which I admittedly have ran a 5k faster, where even though I had no idea what I was doing I loved it anyway.

Joining my high school cross country team wasn’t even a question. What I didn’t know was the impact that it really would have on me. My high school cross country experience taught me that determination and hard work could get you very far in not only running, but also life. My first two years of cross country were what I like to call “getting my feet wet.” I didn’t fully understand then how to race, compete or really put 110% into a race, but I knew just enough to fall even more in love with the sport and with what would become some of my best friends. During track season my sophomore year, I unfortunately got an injury to my knee that greatly influenced the outcome of my junior year cross country season. It was during that season that I experienced what it was like to not run like myself – to feel pain, disappointment, and discouragement. The following year, it took a great deal of determination, dedication and hard work to achieve running the best races I had ever ran – a personal record I am extremely proud of, and getting the opportunity to be the alternate runner at the state meet that year.

That’s not what running is about for me though – I could be first, last, win the Olympics or never see a PR again in my life and I would still love running just as much, no matter what. Some of my worst days have been cured with a long run- by myself, chatting with a friend, music on full blast, or even just the sound of my breath. That’s why I decided to join OSU’s Running Club. It gave me the opportunity to stay in shape, compete at the level I felt most comfortable, and meet people with the same common bond and love for running that I felt.

Running the 2013 Columbus Marathon

Running the 2013 Columbus Marathon

Running Club encouraged me throughout my most difficult, yet proudest moment yet – competing in the 2013 Columbus Full Marathon. For many years, I dreamed of the day I would run my first marathon, and still those 26.2 miles seem too crazy to have been reality. If it wasn’t for the countless Running Club jerseys out there on the course with me – I really don’t think I would have made it. Although I am going to miss the companionship of running on a team, I know that wherever I go, wherever I race, I’m bound to get an OH-IO somewhere and think of all of you!

426389_10200806487432762_2035424854_n